Astrology is the union of Flame (self) with God.A person knowing astrology is very near to God. That person can understand a statement made by him and he can also express it, and by this (His) guidance, he can make life of a person beautiful or lively. As our debate can re-leave us from physical difficulties of any type, he is considered as a God on the earth. He can make us well and healthy. But if a person can come in contact with the good astrologer, he can make him cautious of any illness and difficulties before countering it and if that person passes consciously through that period, that person never contacts any illness or problems. Thus, a doctor curses a fever after it has occurred while in an astrology provides him a warning before contracting it, and if a person saves himself I that period, such a person he is saved from such a difficulty. Thus the importance of astrology just like ‘prevention is better than cure’ or like ‘a stich in time saves nine. Astrology can be studied in many different ways, but its main method are well-known:
(1) Prediction by studying a horoscope- called a JanmaKundli (જન્મ કુંડળી).
(2) Studying the lines of a palm
(3) Prediction by Numerology.
Panchang (પંચાંગ) (Lunar calendar):
A calendar is a guide to understand the astronomic events, the celebration of the festivals and its proper timings. In it the position of the Sun and moon is studied minituely. Sunrise and sun set and moon rise and set can be measured with the help of Panchang. All the information, e.g. rainfall can be gauged by the means of Vahan (વાહન) or the house of Vehicle of the constellation. Thus a Panchang is associated with the life of a person like the wrap and woof. Moreover, much information can be secured from the ‘Panchang’.
The main five (5) components of a ‘Panchang’ are as follows :
1. Tithi or Date: A Thithi means the distance between the Sun and the moon. 12 degree equals 1 degree of moon.
First – Padavo or Ekam or the first day of lunar calendar, second day or the Bij, third day or the Trij,etc and about the full moon or Purnima. This Purnima (fullmoon or પૂર્ણિમા) constitute the bright period or called ‘shuklapaksh’, similarly the first, the second (Bij)….etc and the new moon or the transition towards the second hemisphere that is known as Amavasya constitute the Krishna Paksh (Dark fortnight). These are the two parts of a month.
2. A Day : The period (time) from sunrise of a day to sunrise of the next day is called a day.
The days are mentioned as, the Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,Thursday, (associated with planet Jupiter), Friday and the Saturday.
3. The days are mentioned as, the Sunday, Monday, Tuesday,Wednesday, Thursday, (associated with planet Jupiter), Friday and the Saturday.
| A Constellations or the Nakshtra (નક્ષત્ર): the 13-20’ part of the ecliptic (Kantivrutta-કાંતિવૃત્ત) is known as constellation. They are 27 in numbers. Ashwini (અશ્વિની), Bharati (ભારતી), Krutika (કૃતિકા), Rohini (રોહીણી), Revati (રેવતી), and Adra (આદ્રા) etc. the moon moves in every constellation. The time taken by it in passing through each constellation is known as NakshatraYog (નક્ષત્ર યોગ) (beat one is one manly) the constellation is given in the Panchang (પંચાગ). It is understood that the moon is in that constellation on the given day.
4. Yoga(યોગ):- At how much distance are the sun and the moon from the initial position of their RasyadiBhog. The 13 – 20 ‘part of the sun (total) of Zodiac- Rashi, degrees, phase, sub-phase, are known as the “Yoga”.
5. Karan (કરણ):- Thus, there are 27 Yoga. A Karan means ½ part of immovable Tithi(તિથિ) (stable) Nakshatra:Shakuni (શકુનિ), Chatushpad- (quadruped) (ચતુષ્પાદ), Naag(serpentine) (નાગ) and Kistudhi (કિસ્તુધી).Moving Karan (mobile karan), bal (બલ) , Kautilya (કૌટિલ્ય), period of thirty ghatikas, i.e. 12 hours; [math.] operation; the Supreme Being.Thus there are two types of Karan: the mobile and immovable that set the horoscope in relation to the given day. The constellation are3 determined and from the yog and are known as Karan. Literally there are seven known planet called Sun, Mercury,Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn have been attributed with reference days namely like Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. and hence information about the each day, Tithi, planet, constellation, Yog, Karan, maybe derived out of it.